It's been a long time since my last Nine Questions feature, but here I am today with a new interview that I hope will be the first of a long new series.
Calendar Girl Vintage is a recent favorite Etsy store of mine. Specialized in the finest, hand-picked, high quality vintage from the 1940s, 50s and early 60s, is definitely my dream! Last week, checking the latest arrivals, I stumbled upon the most wonderful 50s cocktail dress ever - the one in the picture above - and...well it's currently on its way to me (it will actually be my Christmas present!).
Well, let's have a chat with Miss Calendar Girl Vintage herself now!
1. HI JEN, AND THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE WITH US! TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOU AND YOUR STORE. HOW DID YOU GET STARTED WITH CALENDAR GIRL VINTAGE?
First, thank you so much for featuring me on your blog. I'm a stay-at-home mom to my 14-month-old baby boy and my job lets me do what I love most while spending time with him : ) I've always loved the past, especially the beauty, glamour and elegance of the 40s and 50s and my hobby collecting vintage from these eras naturally turned into my dream job! My husband and I were on our honeymoon in Rome 3 years ago when I became inspired to start this business. Seeing all the incredible ruins, the breathtaking scenery and the timelessness of the city made me want to be surrounded by beautiful things always. And there is nothing quite as beautiful as vintage clothing (aside from Rome, of course!)
2. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A PIECE YOU'RE BUYING FOR THE STORE? ARE YOU INFLUENCED BY YOUR PERSONAL TASTE?
I always look for quality, classic style, interesting and unique details, and of course as few flaws as possible. I love the ultra feminine look of 40s and 50s dresses, so I tend to gravitate toward those pieces that I would love to wear myself!
3. IS NOT SAD AND "HEARTBREAKING" TO SELL A PIECE YOU LOVE, LETTING IT PASSES ON? AREN'T YOU TEMPTED TO KEEP ALL FOR YOURSELF?!
Oh yes! That happens frequently. I get very attached to my vintage pieces, but sometimes I just have to let them go, otherwise I won't have enough space to keep more stuff for myself ; ) Each time I purchase something for my store, I complain for one of two reasons: It either fits me perfectly and I have to keep it or it doesn't fit me and I wish it did, so I can't keep it!
4. HOW MUCH OF YOUR PERSONAL WARDROBE IS VINTAGE?
About 70% of my wardrobe is vintage, the rest is vintage style pieces that I mix up with my vintage pieces and accessories. I love 50s sundresses, party dresses and novelty print skirts, 40s suits and hats, and 60s coats.
5. AND WHAT ABOUT CONTEMPORARY DESIGNERS AND PERSONAL HOT SPOTS?
I don't usually buy much contemporary designer stuff, but I'll admit that every time I go to Anthropologie I wish I could buy everything in the store!
6. DO YOU THINK THE INCREASINGLY INTEREST FOR VINTAGE IS ONLY A TREND OR SOMETHING HERE TO STAY?
I definitely think it is here to stay because women recognize its timeless appeal and quality.
7. IF YOU HAD A TIME MACHING TO GO BACK IN TIME, WICH ERA AND WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO LIVE?
I would love to have experienced the 50s anywhere in the world.
8. DO YOU THINK VINTAGE IS A GOOD WAY TO EXPRESS THAT SENSE OF NOSTALGIA PEOPLE (LIKE ME...) MAY HAVE FOR PAST DECADES THEY DIDN'T EVEN LIVE TROUGH?
Absolutely!! Being able to wear clothing from the past lets you experience the beauty of that era while enjoying what the present has to offer.
Thank you again Jen, it's been a real pleasure to have you here!
And you don't forget to visit Jen's fabulous store indulging in oh so many perfect vintage items!