sabato 31 maggio 2008

Rare Birds of Style

I write the name Iris Apfel, today, the same way I could write the name Carrie Bradshaw. I'll watch Sex & The City movie later today, then I'll read all the post from my favorite bloggers and I'll comment there. I wont write a review.

I'm just thinking about the fact beyond the utopia of movies world there are real women - lucky icons for some people, just eccentrics for someone else - who in a way or another, in terms of style remind me of Carrie. Not the women who pretend to be Carrie or the ones who desperately try to be her, I mean real women, individuals. In my opinion Iris Barrel Apfel is the commander in chief of this little army. Even if she can't be categorized, even if she's surely more than a tag.


At the age of 86 she's considered a "master of fashion", one of the most influent personality in American fashion, but she refuse the idea of being a fashionista. She tells she simply loves beautiful clothes, no matter if they come from great designers, high fashion or low. Like Carrie, she mixes everything in a very imaginative way.

She's not even involved in fashion world tout court, you know, she's not a designer, not a fashion editor etc. She started as interior decorator end years later founded with her husband a textiles company, the Old World Weavers wich became one of the most internationally known.

With this background, in 2006 the MET celebrated her style with the show "Rara Avis: Selections from the Iris Barrel Apfel Collection". The relation between fashion and accessory designs, the power of a personal style vs fashion diktats were central. The exhibition with more than 80 mannequins looking like Iris's clones - and styled by her, with outfits she really wears and her classic big round glasses too - shown just a little portion of what's in her closet in terms of both clothes and accessories.






The world discovered her a little bit late, but better late than never and I like to think right now she's probably walking up and down Manhattan in search of the perfect 3$ dress to pair with her 300$ shoes...

If you missed the exhibition or you didn't know her, you can read this interview and of course the wonderful book Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel .

14 commenti:

Danz ha detto...

Amazing! She has some really interesting pieces in her collection. Would you like to exchange links?

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse ha detto...

I do love her and Patricia Field and Diane Vreeland. Yay for free spirits. I always so jealous though that they are so in command of their style and know exactly what they like.

Anonimo ha detto...

wow, i can't believe i didn't know about her! the styled mannequins are beautiful, will definitely have to research this colourful character. thanks for enlightening me!

Siljesfashion ha detto...

So fab! I love her style, so whimsical and free. Reminds me a little of Patricia Field, right? When it comes to uniqueness there is nothing that can beat a free spirit. Great post, lovely!

Sharon S ha detto...

Hi there-This is an amazing lady with an amazing wardrobe-thanks for showcasing her on an excellent post-would you like to trade links?

Sally Jane Vintage ha detto...

She defines the word fabulous!

WendyB ha detto...

She is totally fabulous.

The Fancier ha detto...

Love her eccentric and unique sense of style, so inspirtional!

Vain and Vapid ha detto...

What a great post, I have never heard of her until now but she sounds like a truly interesting person and I will definitely look into her history. I love that she wore that YSL flower dress, not many women would dare.

Times of Glory ha detto...

I love her! Because she was't directly connected with fashion, she doesn't do "rules"... That has made her so individual and fun! A creative soul with chic outfit! What a great tribute, my dear!

Chloé Van Paris ha detto...

You make me smile with that post.
Des esprits libres est créatifs.
very inspiring book.

la principessa emicrania ha detto...

è colpa sua se settimane fa mi sono comprata al mercatino un paio d'occhiali pollini a lenti rotonde.
rotonde rotonde! e blu! e sembro veramente una cretina quando li indosso! ma li amo comunque...

AlicePleasance ha detto...

@ danz, sharon rose: I already added you ;-)

@ the clothes horse: you're right, both of them are so inspirational!

@ mhbass: you're more than welcome :-)

@ la principessa emicrania: chissà che belli invece!

Always In Style ha detto...

She is out of this world!