venerdì 3 ottobre 2008

Nine Questions To Mousevox Vintage

I'm glad the idea of the Nine Questions To... series received a positive feedback from the readers! As promised today I'm here with a new wonderful vintage seller to interview (but all the girls are so nice it looks like a good chat with a friend than a real interview!).

This week is the turn of Rachel of Mousevox Vintage an Ebay boutique featuring a selection of fashion forward apparel from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.


What I like the most about this store is the great selection of so feminine yet so modern dresses Rachel hand pick every week. The blue tulip dress I wore here was bought from her some months ago. Just one word: adorable!

Mousevox Vintage can also be found on Myspace and on Mousevox Vintage Blog.

1. SO RACHEL, TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOU AND YOUR STORE. HOW DID YOU GET STARTED WITH Mousevox Vintage?

Having been a collector of vintage and an inherent packrat for more than a decade, my collection of wares began to outgrow the space that I had. With at least 50 dresses in the "to be altered/re-constructed" pile in the guest bedroom of my old house, I finally realized that altering everything was probably not something I was ever going to get around to and decided to try selling a few pieces on eBay just to downsize. I never imagined how lucrative it would be! That was 2 1/2 years ago and, since then, MouseVox Vintage has become a full time job for me. In the past, MouseVox was ran out of my home and because of that it began to take over my entire space, but this past May I was able to move into my own studio. I have previous experience in the fashion industry as a runway model, but those days have since past and I'm delighted to be able to turn the focus on my true passion for fashion - vintage! On the side, I pick up free lance styling gigs, mostly working with musicians. My first styling job, working under reputable Nashville based photographer and friend Trey Mitchell, introduced me to this aspect of the fashion world. I love working directly with people one-on-one, which is not something you get to experience a lot of when selling exclusively online. Currently, I'm anticipating handling the wardrobe side of an independant film with shooting to be scheduled early next year!

2. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A PIECE YOU'RE BUYING FOR THE STORE? ARE YOU INFLUENCED BY YOUR PERSONAL TASTE?

Personal taste is my greatest influence when searching for inventory. I only buy items that are in excellent condition or that only need minimal repairs that I handle all before listing an item. I like to carry a variety of styles, as I myself like to experiment with different looks. I tend to dress according to my mood and don't like to confine myself to just one look. I always look for pieces that can be styled in a modern way, too.








3. IS NOT SAD AND "HEARTBREAKING" TO SELL A PIECE YOU LOVE, LETTING IT PASSES ON? AREN'T YOU TEMPTED TO KEEP ALL FOR YOURSELF?!

There have been a few pieces that I've been indecisive as to whether or not I should sell, but my rule is, "If I buy something that I want to keep and have it for a month without wearing it, it's time to let it go." I do sometimes wear pieces in my collection a few times and then have them cleaned and sell them when I grow tired of them. I like the idea of having a constantly rotating wardrobe! However, most of my personal collection was handed down to me by my grandmother. She was the same size as I and had all of her clothes tailored to fit her, so I inherented an amazing collection of vintage couture when she passed. Currently, I've been coveting this amazing Pucci neglige that I found over a year ago. I've never worn it and have been wanting to use it in an editorial shoot, but that's yet to happen. It's pretty amazing though, so I'm not sure I'll ever be able to let it go!

4. HOW MUCH OF YOUR PERSONAL WARDROBE IS VINTAGE?

Practically everything I wear is either vintage or handmade with the exception of most of my shoes. I do have an affinity for expensive denim and Betsey Johnson dresses, though. And I'm not at all ashamed to say that I'll pick up a cute piece from Target every once in awhile!

5. AND WHAT ABOUT CONTEMPORARY DESIGNERS AND PERSONAL HOT SPOTS?

With Milan's fashion week just recently having ended, I've currently been drooling over Marni, Moschino & Missoni. I also absolutely LOVE Chloe. Basically anything pretty & feminine with vintage-esque silhouettes catches my eye. As for personal hotspots, I'm a serious thrift, second hand & antique store junkie. I love finding special pieces that I know noone else will have (one of the best perks of wearing vintage!). I don't tend to shop at a lot of the local vintage stores in Nashville since I love the hunt of searching through racks and racks and piles of clothing to find that diamond in the rough. Though, I'm really looking forward to the opening of Karen Elson's (wife of The White Stripe's Jack White) vintage boutique. Word on the street is, she has an unbelievable collection of vintage couture!

6. DO YOU THINK THE INCREASINGLY INTEREST FOR VINTAGE IS ONLY A TREND OR SOMETHING HERE TO STAY?

I hope it's here to stay! Not only is wearing vintage fashion forward, but it's also ecologically responsible. Buying second hand is a great way to reduce and reuse and be in style at the same time.

7. IF YOU HAD A TIME MACHINE TO GO BACK IN TIME, WICH ERA AND WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO LIVE?

I would like to either go back to the 1920's or the 1960's. Not only were the wardrobes of these times unique & eye-catching, but they were also both very socially & politically liberating times.







8. DO YOU THINK VINTAGE IS A GOOD WAY TO EXPRESS THAT SENSE OF NOSTALGIA PEOPLE (LIKE ME...) MAY HAVE FOR PAST DECADES THEY DIDN'T EVEN LIVE TROUGH?

Absolutely! I love the idea of having a historical wardrobe and like to imagine the stories behind certain pieces. That sense of nostalgia is very exciting for me.

9. WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR VINTAGE LOVERS AND COLLECTORS?

The best advice I can give is to be true to yourself! If you feel comfortable in something and if you love a certain piece, that alone makes it fabulous is my books. As for collecting, I personally go vintage hunting at least 3-4 times a week and always stay on top of when estate sales are happening in the area. I also like to take day trips to different towns and search out the vintage to be found.

Thank you so much Rachel!
A new Nine Question post will come soon...stay tuned!

9 commenti:

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE ha detto...

looks great, alice! thanks so much!

xoxo

Ariella ha detto...

Cute interview, and the clothes look fabulous... I'll have to check her store out :) Thanks for the tip!

Meaghan Kelly ha detto...

again, such a great idea :)

Sharon S ha detto...

Hi there-a fantastic interview, this gal has tons of style and is very chic indeed!

suzy. ha detto...

i love that you do this! as a rabid ebay-er myself, it's pretty fun to know the woman behind the store.

Miss Urbanita ha detto...

Added to my favourite sellers. Thanks ;)

Anonimo ha detto...

oh I love the dresses!thanks for the tip I have to check that store out :)

mademoiselleb ha detto...

Really nice !

Tina ha detto...

Nice interview and so many of these (dresses especially) are great--nice clear photos, too! Thanks!